May 30, 2009

Sen. Sherrod Brown (D-OH) Responds to Taser Torture Petition

This blog participated in the Day of Blogging for Justice Against Taser Torture last month. As a part of that online activism I joined with others in signing a petition asking for congressional hearings on taser torture in America. I shared my thoughts with the congresswoman and senators that represent me.

One of them, Sen. Sherrod Brown (D-OH) responded to me with the following message:

Dear Mr. Hicks:

Thank you for expressing your concerns about the use of tasers by law enforcement officials.

Tasers are used by law enforcement officials to deliver an electroshock and subdue dangerous suspects, and are often used to avoid the use of lethal force. I agree that we must ensure that law enforcement officers receive proper training and that all use of force is appropriate to the situation. In the past I have supported legislation to increase law enforcement accountability for excessive use of force, and should similar legislation come before the Senate I will certainly keep your views in mind.

Thank you again for contacting me.

Sincerely,
Sherrod Brown
United States Senator
I hope that all villagers will sign the online petition created by my colleagues in the AfroSpear.

No comments: